Almost a third of respondents feel that Christmas is more important to them than ever this year according to our recent survey. Many will be putting more thought into the presents they buy, with a fifth looking to spend more time choosing personal gifts. A further 30% of those asked are feeling more ‘emotional’ about the festive season - with just under 6 weeks to go until Christmas, shoppers are looking forward to spending time with their family and friends again. People are also planning to put their decorations up earlier than normal and will buy more ‘lavish’ food in order to make Christmas 2020 extra special. This Christmas, almost a quarter of adults plan to buy a present for themselves, many feel they simply deserve a treat this year and 29% are not expecting many gifts from others after an extraordinary year.
The poll of 2,000 Brits found that 12% of adults are planning to splash out on their own games console during the festive season, whilst 15% are going to treat themselves to some new clothes to boost their mood. Others are going to buy themselves make-up, a laptop and a mobile phone. 22% would rather buy something for themselves than ask others to buy it as a gift.
Call of Duty Xbox Series X Game at Game, £64.99. Huda Beauty Palette, £58. Apple Mac Book Air 2020, £999.
Following a stressful 2020, 14% plan to buy more wellbeing gifts this year. The most popular gifts on people’s shopping lists included perfume or aftershave, candles and skincare, with festive favourite’s chocolates, alcohol and books topping the list.
Aftershave at Perfume Shop, £52. Winter Candle at The White Company, £20.
Kiehl's Skincare Giftset, £89. M&S Food Hamper, £50.
More than half of those polled have already started their shopping and 26% started earlier than they usually would. An organised 16% hope to finish their gift buying as early as four weeks before the big day – November 27th – while 21% realistically plan to complete it with just one week to spare – December 18th.
Check out the top 50 gifts people plan to buy below for some gifting inspiration!
Top 50 gifts people plan to buy themselves:
- Clothes 26. Vinyl records/CDs
- Perfume/aftershave 27. Children's toys
- Mobile phone 28. Underwear
- Games console 29. Jigsaw Puzzle
- Laptop 30. Toiletries e.g shower gel
- Chocolates 31. Headphones
- Books 32. Exercise Gear e.g weights
- Trainers 33. A TV
- Makeup 34.Video Games
- Alcohol 35.Cufflinks
- Handbag 36.A bracelet
- A kindle 37. Socks
- Skin care e.g. cleanser 38.Kitchen Appliances e.g coffee machine
- Candles 39. Crafts e.g make your own macramé kit
- A watch 40. Smart Shoes e.g heels
- Tablet 41. A ring
- A holiday 42. Hair Straighteners
- Pyjamas 43. Gift Vouchers
- A photo-frame 44. Camera
- House plants 45. Boxsets
- Earrings 46. An engagement ring
- Slippers 47. Gaming Chair
- An experience voucher 48. Purse/Wallet
- Winter accessories e.g. hat, gloves, scarf 49. Bath Bubbles/Bath Bombs
- A necklace 50.Furniture
The top 10 gifts people plan to buy others this Christmas:
- Toiletries e.g. shower gel
- Gift vouchers
- Children's toys