OK, so for some of us, Valentine’s day this year might only be able to be shared with your loved one as a facetime moment or a delivery of a card and flowers rather than face to face romance, but for those of us who are living with our other halves, then we thought we would put this handy guide together to create a romantic Valentine’s evening at home. A well thought through Valentine’s treat at home can actually make a real difference to both of your moods in these rather difficult times. If you make an effort, it can be a whole evening of treats that will really lift your spirits and get you in the mood for love, no matter how long you have been together.
- First of all, get rid of the kids (not literally!) Simply find a space or room for them and create their own fun night, with games, movies and snacks. If you position it as a treat night for them too, they are more likely to leave you in peace to enjoy yours. Make their space up into a cosy den by using lots of scatter cushions, throws and blankets so that it really looks inviting.
- Start your evening with a lovely glass of fizz and the meal that follows will be one to remember. You can exchange Valentine’s cards and gifts before you sit down to dinner, making sure you have already left enough hints and reminders so that the gift and card giving is a two way process!
- Dress to impress and tell your partner to as well. Why not dress as if you were going out on a dinner date? It really adds to the sense of occasion and makes you feel special. Dress the room as well. Heart balloons, candles and cushions are all pretty inexpensive and look great. Set your table as if you are in a restaurant with napkins, table cloth and get out your best glasses. You can buy Valentine’s themed tableware too, or scatter petals on the table for that romantic finish.
- If you are a great chef and have a few fail-safe recipes in your repertoire, then you may want to create your own special menu. Scallops, lobster and steak are all Valentine’s day staples, as are strawberries and cream but if you want to spend less time cooking and more time smooching, then there are always some fantastic Valentine’s day special meal deals around and nobody does it better than Marks and Spencer. You can pick up a starter, main course with sides, dessert and even a bottle of wine as part of the deal.
- So after dinner, you have a few choices. If the thought of diving into a rom-com movie makes you run for the hills, then perhaps listen to some of your favourite music, grab some old photos and reminisce on a few of your old holidays together and bring back some lovely memories. If that sounds way too cheesy for you, drink more wine, kick your heels off, turn the music up and dance in the kitchen like there’s no-one looking. Who said romance was dead?